Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Cabbies

I haven't been writing much lately. It's because I'm translating something that may be published and I don't want to jinx it by talking about it, and it's basically all that's on my mind. I keep picturing myself being interviewed, even though I don't think anyone interviews translators. But maybe...

You meet the nicest cab drivers in New York. The other day, I had this Bangladeshi cab driver who was telling me all about relationships. He was like, "Marriage... is like quitting smoking. If you don't really want to succeed, you won't." I thought that was actually pretty smart. The last cab driver I had gave me some pamphlets on Jesus and Islam, and I read them when I was on the toilet. The thing about these pamphlets you get is that they try to convince you to join their religion with evidence that it's the real thing, but their evidence is always from their holy book. It's like, this is your proof? This does nothing for me.

1 comment:

Mischa Nachtigal said...

Too long between posts. You'll never become Brooklyn's resident sexpert with that kind of laziness!

Also... you should be commenting on popular blogs with this kind of tone (blunt) and linking to yours to generate traffic/readership.