Sunday, December 21, 2008

The Vampire Who Captured My Heart and Bled It Dry

Mischa and I are writing a Twilight-esque young adult book (plot TBD), and as research, I just read the first 100 pages of Twilight. I know everyone hates it, and I know all the feminist blogs say it's disgusting, but really, I'm not hating it. That's not to say it's not a piece of shit. It reads like some seventh-grade brat got dumped and to soothe the terrible, terrible pain, she spent two days writing a story about a girl who has guys chasing her all over the place. So the writing's distractingly bad, but as you go on, it's less narrative and more dialogue, and Meyer's not terrible at dialogue. As for all the critics saying it's sending a terrible message to young women about how you should give up everything for a boy, I don't know. I only read the first 100 pages. But I'm not too worried. My impression is the only girls who are into this shit are the ones who would have let a boy run their lives even if they hadn't read this book. Is it wrong of me to dismiss an entire group of the young adult population just because they kind of suck? Creo que no.

This counts as my book review. Again, I'm sorry for the non-updating, but things have been going pretty well for me lately, and I don't want to jinx them by gushing.

1 comment:

Mischa Nachtigal said...

That picture is low Miss. Ellie.... and I think you should spill the beans about your SD.