Sunday, January 4, 2009

Hey! It's Asshole Day!

My friend and I went to a bar on Smith Street on Friday cause we were too lazy to go into Manhattan or Williamsburg and we made a whole bunch of friends. First, we were approached by this guy who looked kind of like if Sinbad were thin and he was like, "If you two come back to my place, we can have a really good time," and my friend was like, "I have a boyfriend," and he was like, "Hey, I have a girlfriend." We were of course appalled. Later, I saw him chatting with two other women and I went up to him and I was like, "It is so great that you finally found women who don't care that you have a girlfriend."

Back to the one-paragraph book reviews: Confessions of an Economic Hit Man, by John Perkins
Okay, so what an economic hit man is is someone who convinces Third World countries to take out ridiculous loans, then when they can't repay their loans, forces them to basically let U.S. companies take over all of their industries. Perkins was one of those guys, and since he was pretty high up , he screwed over a lot of impoverished people, but it wasn't his fault! His parents were controlling! Some woman forced him to marry her! He just wanted a nice life for himself - is that so much to ask? These aren't confessions, they're fairly well-known secrets. He doesn't admit to any wrongdoing at all, and argues that he was different than the other economic hit men because he a) appreciates different cultures and b) knew that what he was doing was wrong. Apparently some economic hit men really thought they were benefitting the countries they were loaning money to, but he knew he was screwing them, yet somehow, in his mind, this makes him better and not worse. The book is interesting, but Perkins is a douchebag.

1 comment:

Selina said...

Haha! I miss bar hopping. In new bedford the fisherman would try and take you back to their boat!