Saturday, November 15, 2008

The All-Consuming Baby

Is it that time again? My weekly one-paragraph book review
Last week I read Tina Cassidy's Birth: The Surprising History of How We Are Born. It made me visibly wince on the train, which may have freaked out other passengers, and even though I love babies that look like me, this book gave me a reason to seriously consider adoption. I don't plan to read a single book on childbirth while actually pregnant. Do those books actually prepare you, or do they just freak you out so much that you start clenching up every time you think about the baby coming out? Anyway, to sum up, this is an interesting but extremely graphic book.

I want a baby. They're cute, they've got great skin, they smell nice, they're cuddly, and if it's mine, it'll look like me. I want a boy and a girl and I already have names picked out and written down and someday, when I have a baby, the father can pick out a name off my list. I also have a list of possible middle names, but those are more flexible. I'm really looking forward to having babies, which is why I'm not reading Ms. Cassidy's book ever again.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

what on earth makes you think that babies smell nice?

Ellie said...

Their soft little heads smell nice.

meredith said...

yeah, they basically smell awesome. rather like babies. p.s. i also want one. ellie, sometimes i think we are the same, except when we are different.