Tuesday, November 11, 2008

A bachelor's degree in Spanish qualifies me to give nutrition advice, right?

I never hung out with Bachelor #2 last night. He called, we talked, we didn't hang out, which is pretty cool, because it gave me a chance to catch up on Season 2 of "South Park" and eat Cheerios out of the box. You can eat an entire box of Cheerios and you still won't have consumed a whole day's worth of calories, but you will have gotten fiber and vitamins. That's a good tip, kids.

Last night I had my first assignment, this kid from Prospect Heights. He got a 47 on the reading evaluation, which is of course terrible, and I was talking to his mom about it and I was like, "He doesn't seem like he has a learning disability or anything, I think he just needs practice," and then I looked around and I was like, Hm, this house has no books in it. And his mom started talking about how she had lots of doctor's visits because of heart problems and how she was diabetic and got lightheaded a lot and her foot was kind of giving her trouble, and I thought, "Lady, you're five feet tall and you probably weigh 200 pounds. They are going to amputate the shit out of your foot." And I don't wish it upon her or anything, cause she's really nice and accommodating and she really cares about her kids, but it's like, I wish I could say, "You have health problems because you are fat. Your kid has trouble reading because he doesn't read. He doesn't have ADD, he just spends too much time watching TV and playing video games." But even if I said all that to her, it wouldn't make any difference, and who am I to give parenting advice? And she probably knows all of this already. It's just frustrating. These problems are so avoidable.

On a brighter note, I had feta salad for lunch today. It's delicious and in my head, it has less fat than regular cheese. You know how skinny those Greeks are.

No comments: