Wednesday, November 26, 2008

A Japanese Thanksgiving

Things my brother has mixed up:
Jane Eyre and Jane Goodall
Bolivia and Bulgaria
Coup de grâce and coup d'état
Gestapo and gazpacho

Tomorrow is Hirohito's first Thanksgiving. At his first Rosh Hashanah he kissed the Torah, but this time there won't be any uppity religious folk to get all offended, so things will probably go better. Still, we're all surprised that he's still here. He was supposed to have moved on to another family a few weeks ago. Inexplicably, my dad wants to keep him. He's already talking about, "Well, in January we'll get Hirohito moved to the international school," like, January? We're keeping him until January? Ugh. This kid drinks my orange juice and eats my brother's curry and he always wants help with his homework when I'm watching TV and I think he's given up on ever learning English. His sporadic cultural mistakes aren't funny enough to justify how burdensome he is.

No comments: