Saturday, November 8, 2008

Santa says shape up!

Backstory: This year, my family has a sixteen-year-old foreign exchange student from Japan. We'll call him Hirohito for anonymity. A few weeks ago, he got in trouble for graffiti (read: writing his name on a building in chalk) when he went on a trip to see a waterfall. This is the letter we got from his grandparents:

"Just when I started to write a letter to you, I heard a kind of scandal caused by Hirohito. My daughter seemed to try to keep this shameful secret uninformed to us but as a bad news runs fast we couple got to know it. We have been greatly depressed to hear the news. I am guessing that Hirohito had been overwhelmed by the breathtaking scene of the waterfall so he might have lost himself and driven to leave his memory or true impression at some place around there. This is only our simple imagination because we don't know the details yet. But, of course such a mischievous and unethical conduct is never permissible. We are really ashamed of the incident and don't know how deeply we apologize to those people... Please accept our sincere apology for our grandson's careless conduct. We are thinking of sending a warning letter to him instead of a Christmas present and having him resolve to concentrate on his initial purpose."

Hirohito's been getting in a lot of trouble, mainly because my brother likes to demonstrate Asian Flush Syndrome to his friends. Still, I can imagine my parents' reaction to my brother writing his name in chalk on some Japanese building:
"Don't do it again. Here, we got you an iPod to replace the six that you lost."

No comments: