Saturday, November 29, 2008

The criminal element

So I applied for this private tutoring job on Craigslist and the guy said I got the job and I was really happy... but then he said he was going to Fed-Ex me a package of money and I'm supposed to give some to some guy in Florida, his son's nanny. My mother says this sounds like the work of the Russian Mafia but I don't think they're this clumsy. Who uses Craigslist to find a stranger to launder money for them? You always hear about people committing Craigslist crimes, but it seems like it would be so much easier to launder money and prostitute yourself in the real world, where you don't leave a paper trail. Anyway, I wrote back and said I didn't understand why he couldn't just give the guy the money himself and now I'm wondering if I should call the police. A part of me wonders if my fictional employer has a noble reason to filter money through me, like, maybe he's the one being victimized by some criminal element and he's just trying to save his family but nobody can know where the money went, so he needs to get a stranger to send it to kidnappers in Florida, et cetera. He could be a basically good guy who needed money and ended up getting sucked into something seedy. Or maybe he's a ruthless criminal mastermind. Whatever he is, using Craigslist really makes the whole thing much less cinematic, like, will the new gangsters wear sweatpants and live in their mothers' basements? I guess the way I should be looking at this is, At least someone wanted to hire me.

My weekly one-paragraph book review
Brave New World sucked.

No comments: