Tuesday, November 4, 2008

My civic duties

So, I had jury duty yesterday, and if I'd been a little more goal-oriented, I think it would have been a great place to meet men. There were at least four hotties, and two of them were definitely checking me out, but alas, nobody said anything. I found out their names and occupations and marital status during voir dire. They got picked. I was rejected. The judge asked us if we'd ever been the victim of a crime and I said that when I was four, my house was burglarized and even though the police knew who the perpetrator was, they did nothing to nab him, and then I got to go home. Other than the occasional cutie, jury duty is pretty annoying and people gave all kinds of excuses to get out of it. This one guy said he was a Moravian Christian and it was against his religion to pass judgment, but I googled Moravian Church and their website didn't say shit about jury duty. Plus, it seemed weird that a black guy was part of a Czech church, but I guess there are plenty of black Lutherans and Anglicans and whatnot. Another guy got out of it by saying he couldn't be impartial in a murder case because his cousin was awaiting trial for killing two people. Heh. I don't know if I'd admit something like that, or if I'd care if any of my cousins were awaiting trial. My cousins mostly suck.

Also, I had a super-fun time voting today. I got to wait in line and then pull a lever for Obama, then worry that I'd accidentally pulled the wrong lever, then not care because I live in New York and my vote doesn't really influence anything. Everyone says Obama's a shoo-in, but I prefer not to jinx things.

3 comments:

Mischa Nachtigal said...

What do you mean by "Shoo-in"?

Are you being subversively racist?

Oh wait... you only hate uggos, and Obama is hot to trot.

Ellie said...

Ah! I don't know how to respond to you directly! Hopefully you will see this. What I meant was that all the polls were showing Obama way ahead of McCain.

Irma Cedeno said...

jury duty is so not worth it. i've managed to get out twice and i think they are sick of me cause they don't bother me anymore...