Thursday, November 13, 2008

Busy busy busy doing very little

I just finished another tutoring session with LE. He passed the math assessment, but had trouble with word problems because he can't read the questions. His mother is now walking with a cane. I was looking over the reading assessment and it struck me that the passage he really had trouble with was about some girl named Mona who's bad at drawing and throws a hissy fit over it, while he did pretty well on the sections about animals. Now, I know what they're trying to do. They're trying to put more stories about girls into the curriculum. They're trying to make it about things girls can relate to, like crying and art. A whole bunch of assholes think that there's some vast scholastic conspiracy against boys and part of the reason girls are graduating at a higher rate than boys is that boys can't comprehend stories about girls and they should only read about sports and barbecuing and such. I'd argue that maybe it's not the sex of the protagonist that's tripping kids up (I say kids instead of boys because I doubt that any child would find this story interesting); it's that the protagonist is a fucking brat who needs to get a grip, and stories like Mona's teach kids that girls are a bunch of crybabies who need constant reassurance.

Irma and Selina are sad because I haven't written about them yet. I've been friends with them since high school and we all decided to start blogs together. (We have a lot of free time because not one of us has a full-time job.) As a group, we enjoy Irma's mother's cooking, Selina's baby girl, brunch, and parties, especially those with alcohol. Don't worry, Selina has these strips that tell her if there's alcohol in her breast milk, and before she has any alcohol she pumps a couple bottles of clean milk for the baby (official name: The Baby), so everything's good. Having a baby has made Selina's breasts so nice, I'm contemplating having one of my own. The only downside is that even though they don't do much besides sleep and eat, they take up a lot of time (who knew?). Irma is currently spending a whole lot of time on her five hundredth novel, which is probably about me even though she says it's not. She and I go on many adventures, including our European adventure in August and our Bronx adventure in July.

I'm paying extra-special attention to police officers because I had a dream that I fell in love with one. He looked kind of like the guy who took Sean in on "Boy Meets World" - i.e. kind of cute but not really. I saw a whole bunch of police officers in Barnes & Noble today, but they were all ladies. Barnes & Noble is fun. I was reading about "the patient experience" in the medical section and some woman came along and she was like, "I'm looking for books on STDs. I want them to have really graphic pictures, because my daughter's been asking me about sex." At first I thought that was fucked up, but then I looked at the books she had already picked out and it was stuff about relationships and sexual fulfillment, which is pretty cool. Also, it's nice that this girl felt comfortable talking about sex with her mom. My mom has counseled me on sex twice. The first piece of advice she gave me was that you should always have sex with the person you're going to marry before you marry them to see if you're sexually compatible. The second was when I asked her if she'd ever had an orgasm and she said, "Who would have sex if they didn't?" Even though that put bad images in my head, I thought it was pretty awesome.

1 comment:

Mischa Nachtigal said...

your mom rocks... does she still think i'm a con?