Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Scraping the bottom of the job barrel

I got a job offer! Teaching English in Kiev! At first I thought that sounded promising, but then I Googled Kiev, and now I don't know. It turns out that they "think" the radiation from Chernobyl is no longer a threat (but you're still not supposed to drink the tap water unless it's been boiled - since when does boiling get rid of radiation?). It's also ugly as fuck and the country is experiencing major political upheaval. Plus, most of the Kiev tourism sites emphasize how hot and willing the women are, which is all well and good, except I'm not looking for a wife. On the upside, they mostly speak Russian, so maybe I could learn Russian. Probably the best way to get a legitimate job teaching English abroad is to take one of those TEFL courses and then let your language school place you somewhere. I'm very interested in Eastern Europe. Ever since I fell in love with Prague. (I know, Czechs tell you that they're part of Central Europe, not Eastern Europe, but there is no such thing as Central Europe. There's east and there's west. No matter what you call yourselves, you're still in the sketchy, discontent part of Europe. Embrace it.)

No comments: